Old-Fashioned Chicken and Dumplings is a classic comfort food that has been around for generations. It is a hearty and delicious meal that is perfect for a cold winter night. Growing up, my grandmother used to make this dish for me and my siblings whenever we visited her. I have so many fond memories of sitting around the dinner table with my family, enjoying this delicious meal. I believe that everyone should have the opportunity to experience the same joy that I did when I ate this dish, so I’m sharing my grandmother’s recipe for Old-Fashioned Chicken and Dumplings.
This recipe is easy to make and requires minimal ingredients. It is a great way to use up leftover chicken or turkey, making it a budget-friendly meal. The combination of the savory chicken and the fluffy dumplings is sure to please even the pickiest of eaters. Serve it with a side of steamed vegetables or a fresh salad for a complete meal. So, if you’re looking for a comforting and delicious meal, then this Old-Fashioned Chicken and Dumplings recipe is just what you need.
Old-Fashioned Chicken and Dumplings
– 2 tablespoons of butter
– 1 onion, diced
– 2 carrots, diced
– 2 celery stalks, diced
– 2 cloves of garlic, minced
– 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
– 2 cups of chicken broth
– 2 cups of cooked chicken, shredded
– 1 teaspoon of dried thyme
– 1 teaspoon of dried parsley
– 1 bay leaf
– Salt and pepper, to taste
– 2 cups of all-purpose flour
– 2 teaspoons of baking powder
– 1/2 teaspoon of salt
– 1/4 cup of butter, melted
– 2/3 cup of milk
1. In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion, carrots, celery, and garlic. Cook until the vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes.
2. Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and stir to combine. Cook for 1 minute.
3. Add the chicken broth, shredded chicken, thyme, parsley, bay leaf, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer for 10 minutes.
4. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the milk until a soft dough forms.
5. Drop the dough by the tablespoonful into the simmering chicken mixture. Cover and cook for 15 minutes.
6. Serve the chicken and dumplings hot with a side of steamed vegetables or a fresh salad. Enjoy!