Simple Beef Bourguignon – Easy & delicious beef stew recipe. The perfect winter warmer dinner. Ideal for freezing, cooking in the pressure cooker, slow cooker, Instant Pot or oven.
Cosy jumpers, log fires, leaves, crisp air, and all the stew and casseroles and Beef Bourguignon I can cram into our meal plans.
✅ Can be cooked on the hob, oven, slow cooker OR pressure cooker.
✅ Like a warming hug in a bowl!
✅ Freezes perfectly so great for those batch cooking days.
Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do. I’d love to know how you got on and what you thought of it if you make this Beef Bourguignon recipe.
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 kg Braising beef
- 200 g Smoked bacon lardons
- 4 Cloves Garlic Peeled and crushed
- 450 g Pearl onions See recipe notes, I use frozen
- 5 Large carrots Peeled, trimmed and cut into big chunks
- 400 g Button mushrooms
- 400 ml Red wine
- 350 ml Beef stock
- 2 tbsp Dried thyme
- 3 tbsp Tomato puree
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tbsp Cornflour
- Chopped fresh parsley to serve.
To cook in the pressure cooker:
- Heat the oil over a medium heat in your pressure cooker and brown the beef in batches. Removing from the pan as they are coloured.
- After you’ve browned the beef and the pan is empty (apart from the beef bits stuck to the pan – keep these!) pop in the bacon pieces and fry on a high heat until starting to go brown and crispy.
- Add in the garlic, onions, carrots and mushrooms and fry for a couple of minutes until just starting to colour.
- Put the browned beef back into the pan, along with the red wine, beef stock, dried thyme, tomato puree and plenty of salt and pepper. Give everything a good stir.
- Lock on the lid of the pressure cooker, turn the pressure to II (or whichever regular setting your pressure cooker uses), wait for the pressure indicator to show you that it has reached pressure and then reduce the heat until it reaches a low, regular hiss.
- Cook for 45 minutes and when the time is up, quick release the pressure (making sure it’s away from your face/hand).
- Spoon a ladle or two of cooking juice out of the pan into a small bowl and whisk in the cornflour to make a smooth paste with no lumps. Add back into the pressure cooker and stir well.
- Allow this to bubble for 5 minutes to thicken and serve.
- (NOTE: PLEASE CONSULT THE INSTRUCTIONS FOR YOUR OWN PRESSURE COOKER AS THEY MAY DIFFER AND THOSE INSTRUCTIONS SHOULD TAKE PRECEDENCE!)