Now that we’re in the heart of the colder months, curling up to a belly-warming bowl of stew sounds absolutely heavenly. And honestly, nothing beats this incredible slow cooker chunky beef and potato stew! Tender, juicy beef compliments warm, decadent potatoes and bathes in an indulgent broth that simply satisfies. Our comforting stew fills you up and soothes the soul. It makes the perfect weeknight recipe to throw together in a moment’s notice, and hits the spot on a chilly night.
Massive Appetites Will Meet Their Match
This slow cooker chunky beef and potato stew gives all meat lovers out there a reason to rejoice! With its hearty, protein-packed profile, our recipe satisfies even the largest appetites, and will keep you feeling full for hours on end. Cooked potatoes turn warm and buttery in this stew. The starch pairs beautifully with fire-roasted tomatoes and lean steak chunks. Together, these key ingredients release a range of bold, juicy flavors your taste buds will go crazy for.
Aromatics like paprika give this decadent stew a zesty kick. At the same time, Worcestershire sauce lends a unique tanginess that flavors the steak chunks beautifully. Garlic and dried oregano give this beef and potato stew some impressive depth of flavor. These potent spices not only contribute to incredible taste, but they also offer powerful health benefits your body will appreciate.
- 2 pounds lean chuck stew meat or other beef stew meat, cut into large bite-sized pieces
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil divided
- 3 potatoes large, peeled and chopped into large bite-sized pieces
- 14 1/2 ounces fire-roasted diced tomatoes can, with juice (BPA-free cans)
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 to 4 cups beef broth low-sodium
- 2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 tablespoon fresh, chopped oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Whisk flour, salt, and pepper together in a bowl. Dredge the beef cubes in the flour mixture.
- Place half the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Place half of beef cubes into the skillet and cook on all sides, for about 30 seconds per side, or until golden. Do not cook the meat through, just brown the outside. Remove and set aside. Add the rest of the oil and the remaining beef cubes and repeat.
- Add meat pieces to the slow cooker along with the drippings. Add onions, potatoes, worcestershire sauce, and can of diced tomatoes with juice.
- Stir balsamic vinegar along with broth (use more or less, depending on how much liquid you like), garlic, oregano, paprika, and bay leaf, and add in. Cover and cook on high for 4 to 6 hours or low for 8 to 10 hours. Stir well.
- Note: For a thicker stew, combine 2 tablespoons flour with 1 tablespoon softened butter. Add and stir to the stew about 15 minutes before serving. Enjoy!