- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 8 ounces egg noodles
- Fresh parsley, chopped (for garnish)
- In a large pot, add the chicken breasts and pour in the chicken broth. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 20 minutes until the chicken is cooked through. Remove the chicken from the pot and set it aside to cool.
- Skim any foam or impurities that rise to the surface of the broth.
- Add the carrots, celery, onion, garlic, bay leaf, dried thyme, dried parsley, salt, and black pepper to the pot. Simmer over medium heat for about 10 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- While the vegetables are cooking, shred the cooled chicken into small, bite-sized pieces.
- Add the shredded chicken back to the pot and stir well. Simmer for an additional 5 minutes to heat the chicken through.
- In a separate pot, cook the egg noodles according to the package instructions until al dente. Drain the noodles and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Add the cooked noodles to the pot of soup and stir gently to combine. Simmer for another 2-3 minutes to allow the flavors to meld together.
- Remove the bay leaf from the soup and discard.
- Serve the chicken noodle soup hot, garnished with fresh chopped parsley.
Enjoy your delicious homemade chicken noodle soup!